Tuesday, 12 September 2017

Cab Air Conditioning, Still

Ok, it's done, no more air conditioning after this finally fitted the unit to the roof, it sits on some 10mm thick neoprene seal and is bolted from underneath.

It is now firmly attached and waterproof, just a few wires and its finnished.

You can just see the roof air spoiler taking shape in these pictures as well.





Thursday, 31 August 2017

Cab Air Conditioning, Next Installment

Slow progress,  the paint takes 16 hours to dry, I painted both sides of the adaptor plate and now its finally fitted to the cab roof, I used sealed rivets and gray Sickflex 221

Once I fitted it I painted over all the rivets to finish it nicely.  The paint is wet in this picture.

I may have over done it with the rivets, but it's on there now and it ain't moving.



Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Painting the cab roof

I have recently been giving a lot of thought to the painting of the cab and later body. I would love to have a really good job done by a professional paint shop but several things make that awkward and cost prohibited.

I then thought I would spray the truck in the workshop, but then realized its really dirty and dusty in there and everything would get covered in over spray.

Then I came across a Volkswagon van forum, that was talking about painting with a roller,  I thought that this can't possibly be any good, but then saw pictures and videos of the finished product. These guys were able to get a showroom finish with a roller!

So to sum up, I am not looking for a showroom finish, after all, it's an off road truck,  I am looking not to get paint everywhere, and I don't want to spend a fortune on paint, also I would like to be able to do it myself in my own workshop.

It's important to remember, this is an old truck.

So I decided to first paint the roof of the cab, I needed to do it before I fit the air conn to it and I figured if I mess it up it won't be seen anyway.

Overall I was very pleased with the results, two coats of paint, total cost less than a tenner.

The paint I used was Rustoleum Combicolour, and the color RAL 7005



Tuesday, 15 August 2017

Cab Air Conditioning

I wanted to have an separate air conditioner for just the cab alone, After a bit of research i decided on a Weaco RT 880 its a stand alone 24volt system that requires nothing but a 24v connection.

It has a remote control and four outlets in the cab. it fits directly to the roof of the cab usually in the roof hatch hole,  Unfortunately my Tatra does not have a standard roof hatch, As the cab was originally a military cab It has a gunners hatch.

Now, as much as i like the idea of a gunners hatch in my off road camper i feel that in reality there's probably no need for it. So i set about modifying it to take the air conditioner instead.

the hole had a 20 mm flange that sticks up from the roof in order for the hatch to fit over it and seal, i had to cut this off and grind it back to the roof level, the remove the hinges that were welded to the roof for the hatch.

Once the aperture was ready i made an adapter plate from 3mm aluminum that would  fit to the roof aperture and take the air conditioner unit.

This plate will be sealed to the roof with sickaflex and sealed rivets.







Wednesday, 9 August 2017

Air Conditioner

My cab air conditioner arrived today, that's another job i can do, Now wheres my angle grinder !!


Thursday, 27 July 2017

Roof Rack Started

I started on the roof rack, its purpose is to hold a couple of kayaks and act as a mounting point for some LED lights.
There wont be much room up there once the  cab air conditioning unit is fitted and the aerodynamic drag reduction system is fitted.
The will be a small amount of space for non mission critical stuff.







Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Windscreen protection.

I started on what i call windscreen protection, essentially its two steel bars that run vertically from the bumper up the front of the truck art the sides of the windscreen, they connect to the roof rack at the top.

The point of this is that any branches that would normally hit the screen will instead contact the steel bars and be deflected up and over the cab, effectively protecting the windscreen from the branches.

i started by removing the corners of the cab and attaching some 40mm x 6mm steel directly to the chassis of the cab, this only has to support the 40mm box section upright, i used 2mm wall thickness here to keep the weight down on the cab. Bearing in mind i will be adding two massive seats and two more seats as well.

the brackets on the cab will be bolted to the uprights with m12 stainless bolts and locknuts.  there will be a n additional bar going horizontally between the two uprights at the bottom of the windscreen, this will serve to mount some LED Light bars onto.